Southern Tea Cakes are like a big, fluffy, white cookie that goes perfectly with your afternoon tea. If you're not a tea drinking (like me), then they're a wonderful treat for any occasion. Offer them to guests when they walk through your door, when the family are over for a visit or hide them and enjoy them as a "secret" midnight snack.
Tip - the dough is VERY sticky... so make sure you have plenty of flour handy.
SOUTHERN TEA CAKES
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 pounds butter (2 sticks), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Whisk.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
4. Dough should be soft and sticky. Roll it out onto a flowered surface until approximately 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut the dough into desired shapes and place on a slightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.