Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Roasted Vegetables

I found this recipe by Chef Giada De Laurentiis online on the FoodNetwork.com a few weeks ago and had to try it. I had to make a few changes to suit my palate, but it turned out to be an excellent side dish with roasted chicken (or turkey)... or, for my vegetarians friends, a main course. It would be a great dish for Thanksgiving. Give it a try!

My Tip - I've added a little more salt to this recipe. Giada asks for 1/4 teaspoon, but I felt it was a little bland... so I added a touch more - 1/2 teaspoon to 1 full teaspoon is what I like (I tend to enjoy foods on the salty sides.) She also calls for 3 medium parsnips cut into 1 1/2 inch thick slices - I don't care for parsnips much, so I didn't add them. I added slices of red onion - because I love the taste of Brussels sprouts and red potatoes mixed with red onion. They not only taste fantastic, but they smell great too!


Roasted Vegetables


Ingredients:

- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch squares (or you can purchase a bag of small snack carrots already peeled in a bag in the produce section at your local grocery store.)
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 4 cups of small red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 2/3 cup of red onion, sliced (you can use shallots too.)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease an 11 by 17-inch baking sheet pan with extra-virgin olive oil. Place vegetables in baking sheet and add the dried herbs, salt and pepper. Toss well, evenly coating all the vegetables with the seasonings and oil. Add more oil if the vegetables seem dry

Spread the vegetables evenly on a large baking sheet. Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, turning the pan about half way through to ensure even cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment