This is the perfect recipe to whip up if your "none-meat eating" friends are coming over for dinner or if you're wanting to lay off the beef or poultry for awhile. It makes for a great main course and has a wonderful creamy texture that is loaded with flavor. Feel free to use different type of cheeses... or maybe just use one type of cheese. I personally like this combination of cheddar and Monterey jack. Yum! This is also one of those dishes that tastes just as good as leftovers as it does coming right out of the oven... after you reheat it, of course!
Broccoli, Cauliflower & Cheese Casserole
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 stick of butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound broccoli
1/2 head of cauliflower
1 yellow onion, diced
1 3/4 cups of rice (white or brown)
5 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 cups light cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1. In a bowl, blend together breadcrumbs, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 a stick of melt butter. Texture should be coarse.
2. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Place in a pan or stemming pot and cook for a short time - until the broccoli turns bright green.
3. Melt the other half of the stick of butter in a large pot of Dutch oven and saute the diced onion until soft. Add rice and saute for 1 minute - stirring constantly.
4. Add vegetable stock, cream and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Remove from heat and add grated cheeses. Stir.
6. Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cover with breadcrumb mixture.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.