This recipe is a mixture of a few different pasta recipes I've thrown together. There's really endless possibilities you can add to this dish - including using mushrooms and other veggies to make a delicious vegetarian dish. Just be creative. Use more vegetables... or add some spicy Italian sausage to give it a kick! You can eat on this all week and a perfect one dish meal to feed an entire family. Enjoy!
Cheesy Elbow Lasagna
1 -1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1-2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 can (14 oz.) of diced tomatoes
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups of dry elbow pasta
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1 cup fat-free soft ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
3 fresh basil leafs, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon of dried
1. In a nonstick skillet, cook the ground turkey, onions, garlic, zucchini and carrots over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.
2. Drain the skillet of any excess liquid. Add canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and spaghetti sauce. Stir. Add fresh basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
3. While the pasta mixture is simmering, boil two cups of elbow pasta - according to the directions of the pasta box. Drain.
4. Place half of the pasta in an ungreased 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of the meat sauce, then top that with half of the sour cream, soft ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Finish with topping with the mozzarella cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes... or until the cheese begins to brown.
6. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.