I've made these meatballs several times with rave reviews. I found this recipe on YouTube with an authentic Italian chef demonstrating how to make them. The ingredients are simple and to the point, the sauce is delicious, and the meatballs are filling and make for a delightful dinner on a bed of steamed rice or pasta. Enjoy!
1-1 1/2 pounds lean round beef
2 cups tomato sauce
1 red onion, diced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
A few fresh Basil leaves, chopped
Fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat a skillet and pour in the olive oil, add onion, basil roughly chopped, and saute for a few of minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, a pinch of salt. Cook at medium heat for 10-15 minutes
In the meanwhile make the meatballs.
3. Put the ground beef in a large bowl, crack in eggs, add a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, chopped parsley, grated Parmesan, breadcrumbs and mix together with hands until well combined.
4. With your hands, form into walnut-sized balls and place in the pan, with the tomato sauce mixture, leaving a little space in between each one. Move the pan gently and try not to
don't touch them with the spoon... to avoid breaking.
5. Add ½ cup of water room temperature, cover the pan.
6. Cover the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Once cooked transfer meatballs to a serving plate. Serve with rice or pasta.