Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homemade Hushpuppies

I humbly admit that one of my favorite fast food restaurants growing up in central California was Long John Silvers. I never eat there anymore - mostly because I know my heart probably couldn't handle all that grease - but one thing I do miss about them is their hushpuppies. They're perfect for a night when you're serving fish (either baked or fried) and coleslaw. They're also great for just dipping in tartar sauce and serving as an appetizer at a dinner party.

Tip - I tend to prefer using onion powder as opposed to real onion. It all depends on how much you like your onions. ALSO - there's my recipe for homemade tartar sauce in the above post. I think it goes well with these hushpuppies!


Homemade Hushpuppies

Ingredients:

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder - (or 1 yellow onion, minced)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
Peanut oil for frying


Directions:


1. In a bowl add flour, sugar, cornmeal, onion powder, salt, and parsley. Whisk.

2. Add beaten eggs. Stir until dough forms. The dough may be a little dry and you may need to add a tiny bit of water to moisten.

3. Make little balls out of the dough. About a tablespoon size ball. Remember - they'll rise when fried.

3. Heat oil in an electric skillet to 365 F. If frying in a deep pot, heat oil on medium high heat. There should be enough oil in your skillet or pot to completely submerge your hush puppies. Drop your hush puppies into the oil and fry for 6 or 7 minutes, or until golden brown.

4. Transfer to a plate layer in paper towel to help absorb excess oil.

5. Serve with fish or fried chicken, coleslaw and tartar sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment