Monday, December 12, 2011

Curried Cauliflower Rice

I found this wonderful, filling, one-pot, vegetarian recipe in Martha Stewart's little magazine of recipes called Everyday Food, issue 80. I had an extra head of cauliflower that I had to use and some curry in my spice rack and thought I would try something new. I'm glad I did!! This was fantastic! Full of flavor and a big hit in my household. It's also stays well in the refrigerator for a few days and is great as left-overs. I'll be definitely making this again in the near future.


Curried Cauliflower Rice


Ingredients:


4 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large head of cauliflower, cored and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
coarse salt & pepper
1 medium onion, diced small
2 cups of long-grain white rice
5 teaspoons curry powder
1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Chicken or Vegetable broth

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high. Add cauliflower and stirring frequently, until browned in spots.

3. Transfer to plate and season with salt & pepper.

4. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and onions to the pot; cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, 5 minutes.

5. Add rice, curry, and chickpeas and season with salt & pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the rice is coated well, about 2 minutes.

6. Add broth and cream and bring to a boil.

7. Scatter cauliflower over the top (do not stir to combine).

8. Cover and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes.

9. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment