Saucy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
by Paul Deen
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
one 10 3/4-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. If the asparagus spears are thick or seem tough, cook them in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain.
2. Place the asparagus spears in a greased 9 x 9 baking dish.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat; add the chicken and brown on both sides; season with salt & pepper.
4. Arrange the chicken over the asparagus.
5. In a bowl, mix the soup, mayo, and lemon; pour over the chicken.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and it's juices run clear.
7. Sprinkle the dish with cheese and let stand for 5 minutes so the cheese melts.