I learned how to make these while watching an episode of Paula's Home Cooking with Paula Deen. I thought to myself, "dang... that doesn't look hard to make!" Not only was I right about that, but these little meaty delights are actually quite tasty! I suppose you can get creative with what you want to put on, or in, your Hobo Burger... but I would strongly suggest not omitting the hickory-smoked bacon. That's against the law.
1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 package (2 cups) of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
1 cup diced green peppers
1 dash of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
2-3 red potatoes, sliced
strips of hickory-smoked bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, cheese, crushed crackers, green peppers, lemon juice, egg, salt and pepper... get your hands in there and make sure it's blended well.
3. Make small, oval shaped loaves with the meat mixture.
4. Top each of the loaves with potato, onion and carrot slices... then top it with a few slices of bacon!
5. Securely wrap each of the loaves in foil and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
6. Put baking sheet in oven and cook for 45-50 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and carefully remove the foil. Enjoy!