Over Christmas my Grandma Letha was having a hard time getting around in the kitchen and I offered to help her make supper. She gave me a little index card with this casserole recipe on it and asked me to make it, which I did. It was fantastic! It's one of those dishes you can make the whole year through and take to pot-lucks and dinner parties without much hassle. Thanks again, Grandma!
Grandma Letha's Veggie Casserole
1 16-ounce bag of frozen vegetables
1 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon ranch dressing
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 package of saltine crackers
6 tablespoons of butter
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a non-stick cooking spray, coat a casserole dish.
3. Add frozen vegetables, chopped celery, chopped red onion, 1 cup cheddar cheese, salt & pepper, mayo, and ranch dressing to the dish. Stir until mixed well.
4. In a plastic zip-lock bag, crush the saltine crackers.
5. In a small bowl, melt 1 stick-6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Pour the melted butter into the zip-lock bag and coat the crushed crackers. This should form a buttery, breadcrumb paste that you'll top the casserole with.
6. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole and place into oven for 30-35 minutes.