Thursday, October 18, 2012

Blueberry Pudding Cake

I've been on the road the last week or so and been away from a kitchen... hence the reason my blog has been relatively quiet of late. :-(

However...

Prior to my travels, I had a dinner party in Norfolk, Virginia with friends and colleagues. I was asked to provide the dessert for the evening festivities. I wanted to try something new... but also something I knew I couldn't screw up...

... actually, unless your guests are good friends, I usually suggest NEVER making anything "new." Stick with what you know and don't let your guests be your guinea pigs... unless they're willing to volunteer!

Anywho... I found this delightful, award winning dessert in The Best of Country Cooking, 2000 cookbook. The recipe by Jan Bamford. Thanks, Jan! She writes, "My family loves blueberries, so I'm always looking for new ways to use them. This recipe is popular!"

Now, this isn't the prettiest dessert... but decorate it with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream, maybe a few mint leafs to garnish, and you won't care what it looks like... this is will be every sweet-toothed, blueberry loving, comfort food craving, persons dream come true!



Blueberry Pudding Cake


Ingredients:
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Topping:
3/4  cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup boiling water


Directions:

1. Toss the blueberries with cinnamon and lemon juice; place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.

2. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder; stir in milk and butter.

3. Spoon over the berries.

4. Make the topping - Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over the batter.

5. Slowly pour boiling water over all.

6. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
 









No comments:

Post a Comment