Tis the season of sweet potatoes and yams. This is an easy-to-fix recipe that will surprise even those that aren't crazy about sweet potatoes. You can use yams too... if you don't have the potatoes... or use both! The bacon gives it a wonderful, balanced sweet & salt flavor... and like my friend Byron says, "Everything is better with bacon!" It's a perfect side dish for you with roasted Turkey or chicken. Enjoy!
Candied Sweet Potatoes
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 strips of bacon, chopped and diced into small pieces
1 pinch of black pepper
1. In a pot of boiling water cook sweet potatoes with their skin on until tender. Cool, peel and dice, then set aside.
2. In a skillet, over medium-high heat, fry diced bacon. Set aside after crispy.
3. Add olive oil and butter to the bacon grease. Stir.
4. Add sweet potatoes, spices and bacon.
5. Reduce heat; let simmer until sugar is melted and the sweet potatoes are glazed.
6. Spoon sweet potatoes into a serving dish.